May 16, 2009

Life As A Merchandiser



Since I have been here in GA I have been introduced to another side of retail....the merchandising side. Although I am kind of upset with at the situations that my job puts me in, I am truly grateful that they decided to take a chance on me and make me a merchandiser and visual person for them. I really appreciate that.

I have learned so much from it and it has helped me gain a respect for all those who have come before me at places I have worked in the past. When I saw that little Asian girl work her butt off in the men's department of Bloomies I always thought she was crazy but now that I am essentially in her position working for the company I do.....this shit is tough!! But at the same time it is also rewarding and I love that. I get to do stuff and people get to see my work. Some appreciate it.....some bypass it but what matters is my sense of satisfaction. Hell I work damn hard to make that store look as good as it does!

For the while that I have been working for this specialty retailer I have picked up a few things that I feel I should pass onto you the shopper from a merchandisers point of view.

1. If you are going to pick up something to see what it looks like pick up the one from the top! That creates less mess and if you like what it looks like then grab your size. Do not pick your size then look at it and toss it on top of the other things like nothing.

2. If things are hanging on a hanger and you pull it out....please put it back exactly where you found it! Preferably on the same rack and if you just pull it out to look at it place it back so it looks like everything else there so its not hanging out please!

3. If you are just in a store browsing....browse with your fucking eyes not your hands!!!! Do not come into a store just to look at stuff and shuffle everything around like its nothing.

I am one of two merchandisers for that store and because it is a big store I work quickly and hard so it is up to store standards and for you people to come in and mess up what I do so I have to do it over and over again is not very fun!

0 comments: